Instant Pot Cornbread Bites- Have cornbread anytime you want! These individual homemade cornbread squares are SO easy to make in the Instant Pot. Only 5 minutes prep time. Freeze any leftovers so you can have crumbly cornbread to accompany chili, soup or BBQ in a snap! Or, heat one up with a little butter and honey for a snack.
What makes these Instant Pot Cornbread Bites so unique is that they are perfectly proportioned out in single serving squares. This does require a silicone ice-cube tray like this one ( or a silicone "egg bites" tray). But don’t worry you’ll find many uses for it once you own one! (for example- Freeze tea or coffee so your iced tea or iced coffee will never get diluted again).
How to Make Cornbread Bites in the Instant Pot
- Mix the dry ingredients ( cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt) in a medium bowl.
- In a separate small bowl mix the wet ingredients ( eggs, buttermilk, honey and melted butter). Pour the wet ingredients in the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Fill each square in a silicone ice cube tray (six 2" squares) ( spray tray with non-stick spray before adding mix) and cover with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Using the trivet that came with the Instant Pot, place the ice-cube tray on the trivet and lower it into the Instant Pot by the handles.
- Select MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 12 minutes. Followed by a Natural Release. Remove the Ice Cube Tray and remove the aluminum foil. Allow the cornbread bites to rest for 5 minutes before removing them from the tray.
Making Instant Pot Cornbread Bites in a Silicone “Egg Bites” Tray vs. Silicone Ice Cube Tray
The only thing you’ll want to change is the cooking time. Fill the “eggs bites” about ½ to ¾ full , cover with aluminum foil and cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 5 minutes. Do a natural release and allow cornbread bites to cool for about 5 minutes before removing from the tray.
Do you really need buttermilk?
I recommend using buttermilk because I think it gives the cornbread extra flavor and moisture but if you’re not a fan or don’t have any on hand you can substitute whole milk instead.
How to Freeze Cornbread
Allow cornbread bites to cool completely before freezing. You can use a large ziplock freezer bag. I like to wrap each square in plastic wrap so I can just pull one out to thaw when needed.
How to Reheat Frozen Cornbread
- In the oven(preferred method)- cover frozen cornbread bites in aluminum foil and heat in the oven ( at 350° F ) for about 10-15 minutes until cornbread is heated through.
- In the microwave- place frozen cornbread bites on a microwave safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Heat for 20 seconds or so.
Oh course you can also enjoy cornbread at room temperature. Remove cornbread bites from freezer and allow to thaw at room temperature ( will probably take about 45 mins-1 hour). I like to leave them wrapped in plastic wrap ( or aluminum foil) while thawing so they say nice an moist.
Instant Pot Cornbread Bites
- ⅔ cup cornmeal
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 2 tablespoon honey or sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- Spray a (food/oven safe) silicone ice cube tray (six 2” squares) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate small bowl add eggs and whisk. Add buttermilk, honey and melted butter. Stir to combine. Pour wet ingredients into bowl with flour/cornmeal mixture and continue to stir to combine. Fill each square of ice cube tray with batter and cover with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 cup water to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Using the trivet that came with the Instant Pot, place the ice cube tray on the trivet and use handles to lower into the Instant Pot.
- Lock the lid in place, set the vent to SEALING. Select MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK , HIGH PRESSURE and set time to 12 minutes. When the cooking cycle has completed allow the Instant Pot to do a NATURAL RELEASE. Open lid and remove ice cube tray, remove aluminum foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before removing mini cornbread squares from tray.
* Recipe adapted from Simple Happy Foodie