Instant Pot Country Style BBQ Ribs - Melt- in- your- mouth tender Country Style BBQ ribs without even firing up the barbecue grill! The Instant Pot does all the work. Pressure cooking means you’ll have juicy, tender, fall-off-the-bone, lip smacking delicious Country-Style Ribs without having to stand over the grill.
Can you see how these ribs are falling off the bone? Serious deliciousness!
How to Make Country-Style Ribs in the Instant Pot
- Dry Rub- A combination of brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne lends just the right balance of sweet and spicy to the ribs and adds so much depth to the flavor. Before placing the ribs in the Instant Pot rub both sides of the ribs liberally with spice mixture.
- Pour ¾ cup of beef broth and ¼ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Add the ribs to the bottom of the pot ( layer them if necessary) and pour an additional 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce over the ribs to cover the meat.
- Secure/Lock the lid of the Instant Pot and set the Pressure Release Valve to sealing. Select the Manual setting and set cooking time to 30 minutes.
- After cooking is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. While pressure is releasing, Preheat oven to broil, and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat.
- After pressure has naturally release for 10 minutes, move the pressure release to Venting/Quick Release to remove any remaining steam. Ribs will be very tender, carefully transfer (with tongs or a slotted spoon) to the prepared sheet pan. Discard any remaining cooking liquid.
- Brush Ribs with BBQ sauce and place under the broiler until the BBQ sauce has become caramelized and the edges of the ribs have become slightly charred (about 5-8 minutes).
Country-Style Ribs vs. Baby Back Ribs
Both are amazing! and both work well in the Instant Pot. I prefer the country-style and here's why:
1) More meat!
2) Less work ! You don’t need to wear a bib or get your hands all covered in BBQ sauce (unless you want to) Country Style Ribs can be eaten with a fork.
3) I can usually find Country Style Ribs in smaller quantities than baby back ribs, which is great when you’re cooking for just 1-2 people. This recipe calls for 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. of ribs, if you do want to cook a smaller quantity, no problem! Use a smaller quantity but keep the cooking times the same.
The final step -To take these BBQ Country Ribs to the next level, I highly recommend finishing the cooking process by broiling the ribs plus some extra BBQ sauce in the oven for about 5-8 minutes. The sauce will become a bit caramelized and the edges of the ribs will get a nice char.
Skipping the final step -If you want to keep things super easy, you can skip the last step in the oven. Keep the cooking time at 30 minutes at High Pressure but adjust the natural release time to 12 minutes (followed by a Quick Release).
Instant Pot Country Style BBQ Ribs
For the Ribs
- 2 ½-3 lbs. Country Style Pork Ribs sometimes called “Pork Loin Country Style Ribs” bone-in or boneless
- ¾ cup beef broth or water
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce divided (plus more for serving)
For the Dry Rub
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- Combine the dry rub ingredients (brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne) together in a small bowl. Apply rub evenly on both sides of the meat. Lightly pat so dry rub sticks to meat. Set aside.
- Pour beef broth into the Instant Pot and add1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Mix thoroughly. Add the Country Style Ribs to the bottom of the pot (trying not to overlap too much). Pour the remaining 1/2 cup BBQ sauce over the ribs to cover meat.
- Secure/Lock the lid and set the Pressure release to sealing. Select the Manual setting and set the cooking time to 30 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. While the pressure is releasing, preheat oven to broil (400 F ) and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat.
- After pressure has released for 10 minutes, move the Pressure Release to Venting/Quick Release and allow any remaining steam to be removed. Open the Instant Pot and transfer the ribs (carefully with tongs or a slotted spoon, the meat will be very tender) to the prepared sheet pan, discarding any cooking liquid.
- Optional Step- Brush the top side of the ribs with BBQ sauce and broil for about 5- 8 minutes, until the ribs have become browned and BBQ sauce is caramelized.
* recipe adapted from The Salty Marshmallow Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
Original Photos ( oh my!)