Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana- The Instant Pot makes whipping up a batch of home cooked copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana super simple! It's creamy and over the top flavorful! Loaded with crumbled Italian sausage, potatoes and kale . You can have this lightened up version on the table in about 20 mins. Or make a batch and meal prep for a week of healthy lunches/dinners ( Whole 30)
Chock full of tasty ingredients like sausage, potato, and kale, this version of Zuppa Toscana has been adapted to be made in the Instant Pot and has been lightened up a bit. It’s creamy, flavorful and filling and only about 275 calories/serving.
How to Make Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- Cook onions and garlic in a large skillet until onions begin to brown. Add ground sausage and red pepper flakes (if using) and continue to cook until sausage becomes brown (about 5 mins).
- Add cooked sausage, potatoes and chicken broth to the Instant Pot. Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is complete remove the lid from the Instant Pot and stir in chopped kale. Allow kale to become softened (about 1-2 minutes) and add cream ( or coconut milk/cream). Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Types of sausage you can use in Zuppa Toscana?
You can use either mild or spicy Italian pork sausage (or a combo of the two) . Or, substitute with ground chicken or turkey sausage if you prefer.
Easy to Reheat / Perfect for Meal Prep
This soup can easily be re-heated in the microwave or in a pan on the stove-top. Making a batch of Zuppa Toscana is a great way to meal prep lunches/dinners for the week. I like to store the soup in individual Pyrex storage containers so I can just grab one on my way out the door and reheat in the microwave at work.
Do you have to use kale?
No, not at all. If you're not a fan of kale you can easily substitute spinach. Follow recipe directions, just swap the spinach for kale.
If you'd like to add additional veggies you could easily add diced carrots, chopped celery and/or corn. Add after the cooking cycle is complete. If necessary you could heat soup on saute mode until veggies reach desired tenderness and then add cream.
How to make Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Whole 30 compliant
Look for sausage brands that don't use sugar or artificial flavorings. Use full fat coconut milk or coconut cream (canned) in place of the heavy cream and omit the optional Parmesan cheese garnish.
Want more healthy Instant Pot soup ideas? Here are a few to try:
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb bulk Italian ground sausage mild or spicy*
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 4 medium russet potatoes peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream (or half & half) (use canned full fat coconut milk or coconut cream for Whole 30)
- 1 bunch of kale stems removed and leaves chopped (lacinato/dino or curly varieties) ( about 2 cups)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan Cheese for garnish (omit for Whole 30 or Paleo)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add olive oil. Add onions and garlic, sauté until onions begin to lightly brown. Add ground sausage and red pepper flakes. Use a wooden spoon to help break up sausage pieces. Cooking until sausage become brown (about 5 mins.) Drain any grease and add sausage mixture to Instant Pot. **
- Top sausage with potatoes and chicken broth. Lock lid and set vent to SEALING. Set Instant Pot to MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK on High Pressure for 10 minutes. Once the cooking cycle is complete, Do a QUICK RELEASE . Select CANCEL to turn off the Instant Pot. Remove lid and stir in chopped kale. Allow kale to soften (about 1-2 minutes) and add heavy cream (or coconut milk). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately , sprinkling with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Leave a Reply